Monday, June 1, 2009

Shoe Review - Nike Lunar Racer


I did my first trial run in my new Nike Lunar racers this morning. I pushed a hard 9 miles that consisted of lots of hilly asphalt and concrete but also a few grassy trails. I believe Nike has nailed the winning combo here for ultra light and super cushy, two things typically not found in a single shoe. I’m always on the lookout for a minimal, lightweight, neutral, smooth, retro, everyday trainer (that's a mouthful). I’ve recently burnt through 2 pairs of Asics Gel Speedstar 3’s, a killer shoe, but being a natural gear head, I had to check out this new Lunar foam sole and simple design. The shoe runs a bit snug, similar to a flat. I wear a size 10 in Speedstars & Hyperspeeds. I almost went with a 10.5 but decided on the 10. I can’t believe how cushy they are given the weight, it’s insane. Their almost as plush as a standard trainer. I did try on the Lunar ‘Trainer’ as well, but it just looked too wide and felt beefy with all the extra fabric, unnecessary in this shoe given that it has the same sole, unless of course you need the extra support. I plan to put the racer in rotation as an everyday trainer, and I might continue to use Hyperspeeds for racing, given that the Nike is almost too cushy, still unbelievable to me at 5.5oz’s. If you hold one shoe in your hand and close your eyes, you almost can’t feel the weight, similar to a plastic bottle. No doubt these would be great for 26.2. Only time will tell the durability…stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment