Monday, May 11, 2009

Cracking 50miles

I finally had a chance to break through my first 50 mile week, almost entirely in 'single runs'. It felt like a big hurdle. To progress to 60-70 miles per week would take a lot of devotion, and I don't truly know if it's necessary. I would have to run doubles 2-3 days a week. I'm headed to Dallas this Thursday and taking a 'step back' week in mileage to let my body adjust to the stress of 50 miles. Towards the end of the week I started to feel very sluggish and tired.

Week of May 4-10

Mon: 4mi easy
Tues: AM: 8.74mi tempo (1:09 / 7:56 pace). Starting with a 9min mile and finishing with sub 7min
PM: 4.05mi easy
Wed: 10.3mi easy (1:21 / 7:57 pace) Steady
Thurs: REST!!
Friday: 1x3x1mi . 1 mile warm-up, 3 miles (21:45 / 6:55 pace) 1 mile cool down. It was rainy, I had to retreat to the Treadmill.
Sat: 16mi long (2:08 / 8:00 pace) NO oatmeal before you run, lesson learned...too much fiber! Decent run, but I didn't feel fresh and powerful like the past 2 weeks. I'm sure the 2 bowls of chips and salsa, 2 margaritas and a beer at happy hour yesterday wasn't the ideal fuel combination for 'long run' preparation. I will definitely plan to step back mileage next week. Three weeks of build-up with no real step back. I need to let my muscles gain strength with rest. Otherwise, awesome weather today, 52 this morning warming up to 63 during the run, sunny and crisp.
Sun: 2 miles - very gentle recovery run

Total: 50.1mi / 6:38hrs

Angie and I took the little fur ball to Loose Park, Saturday afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment